The background report displays as unavailable if you do not enter your social security number (SSN). If you do not have an SSN, you can still submit an application. Go through ID verification and leave the SSN field blank. Then pay for your application and a credit report will be generated for you and you can submit without a background report.
If you have an SSN and did not add it during ID verification, follow these steps to generate your background report:
- Log in to your Zillow account at Zillow.com
- Go to the Renter Hub and open the application you want to add your background report to.
- If the application has already been submitted, then you will need to first withdraw your application. A new application draft will be opened for the listing and you will not lose any of the information you filled out for the application.
On the new application draft, click “Update” next to the screening reports section. Then select “Re-enter information”. You will be taken to the ID verification page to add your SSN.
- NOTE: once you click “Verify identity” on this page, neither you nor any landlords you’ve shared your reports with up to this point will have access to your reports. You can fix this by following the remaining steps.
- Answer any Knowledge Based Authentication questions to verify your identity and click continue.
- You should now be able to review your background report. Continue to submit your application to ensure you are considered by the landlord for your desired listing.
- If there are any previously submitted applications you still wish to be considered, make sure to withdraw said application and resubmit it. The application will be updated with your newly generated background report.