Zillow strives to provide a safe online community to rental shoppers, but you should always be wary of sharing personal information, financial information, or payments of any kind to people you do not know.
When searching for rental listings, here are some red flags to look for:
- Requests to wire money – do not wire money to anyone you haven’t met personally.
- Long distance landlords/owners/agents – listing providers claiming to be in a remote location and unable to meet in person.
- Requests for verification codes via text or phone call.
- Requests for personal or financial information.
- Individuals claiming an affiliation with Zillow – Zillow is only a listing platform and does not play a role in the transactional process between renters and landlords.
- Using Zillow for money exchanges.
- Unusual typos or personal stories of grievance.
- Addresses including “For Rent” or “Rent To Own.”
If you have questions or concerns about a listing, flag the listing by clicking ‘Report listing’ and a member of our team will investigate.
For more details on these situations, please visit our Scams and Fraud FAQ: http://www.zillow.com/wikipages/Beware-of-Scams-and-Other-Internet-Fraud/