Zillow strives to provide a safe online community to rental shoppers. We encourage you to be wary of sharing personal information, financial information, or payments of any kind to people you do not know.
When searching for rental listings, here are some red flags to look for:
- Requests to wire money. Do not wire money to anyone you haven’t met personally.
- Long distance landlords/owners/agents.
- Listing providers claiming to be in a remote location and unable to meet in person.
- Requests for verification codes via text or phone call.
- Requests for personal or financial information.
- Unusual typos or personal stories of grievance.
- Addresses including “For Rent” or “Rent To Own."
If you have questions or concerns about a listing, flag the listing by clicking Report Listing and a member of our team will investigate.
For common internet and rental scams, please visit our Scams and Fraud FAQ.